Re: Debian install on biege G3

Simon first, Hans second :)

> I've done a fair bit of looking around on the above subject and tried

Hi David,

this topic has been discussed several times here, so you might want to
search through the archive -- I'm quite sure you'll find your luck :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Beige+G3+boot+site%3Adebian.org&btnG=Go
ogle+Search

SImon
-----------------
Simon, thanks for your reply,

I have trawled trough the archives, and subsequent to your post looked
again! Pretty much the same references I've already looked at. Quik seems to
have limited success (from the posts) whereas it seems BootX is a more
fruitful option.

I didn't fancy playing with OF so opted for the latter.

I've tried floppies (that I had to 'rawwrite' on a PC as anything I tried
writing on the mac was never recognised, bearing in mind various warnings
regarding mounting the disk image prematurely, changing the type and creator
codes, etc, etc) I tried installing with the cd-drivers, no joy (trying to
boot from CD's is a non starter due to ROM issues, according to the
archives)
The only option I've had limited success with is the net-install. This
progesses but falls over after re-start when I put the relevant info into
BootX.

-------------------

Hans, MANY thanks for your reply,

[snip]
The kernel you boot with via BootX needs a initrd to work. I think the
init in the initrd will find out which root partition it should use.
So don't use root=/dev/sda7 but root=/dev/ram and initrd=<initrd.img>
where <initrd.img> is a file available for BootX with the initrd.

BTW. I have recently figured out how to configure OF to work with
quik, and I only need to set one parameter, the boot-device parameter.
So if you want to I give some advice on how to configure OF so you
won't need to boot via MacOS.
[/snip]

Tried your suggestion, I wasn't sure where to put which bits (ie root device
or kernal arguments) so tried every permutation. No luck, I must be
missing/lacking something!

I'll take you up on your offer of a Quik walkthrough, if you please.

Where do I start!!! Wipe the disk and....?

Thanks,
Dave

PS Mac savvy with a growing understanding of *nix.