Re: Powermac G5 yaboot install failed

>>>>> "john" == john fisher <john.fisher@znyx.com> writes:

    john> Thanks guys. Shyamal or Sven can you walk me through the
    john> fix? If I don't get this working I have to return the G5 to
    john> the store.

Hi John,

If it is that serious, just use the sarge installer net install
disk. Do the absolute minimal installation you can (i.e. do not choose
any of the installation tasks, just get the system booted into console
mode).  Then upgrade to etch (edit /etc/apt/sources.list and so on)
and install all the software you want.

    john> I am assuming that I need to mount the root drive while
    john> booted off the cd, and copy in <something> or change the
    john> yaboot.conf or both?

Yes, or you could just use the sarge netinstall and upgrade :-)

If you insist on it, you could also edit yaboot.conf manually on the
installation disk, I believe the open firmware path you want is

device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:

and work onwards from there (i.e. manually install yaboot after
editing the file yourself). To give you exact instructions I would
have to try it out myself (and my disk partitions are probably more
complicated than you want so you probably can't use my config files).

    john> also in ref to bug #339561 I have SATA 150 drives, not SCSI,
    john> though I think maybe they modified the scsi driver to do
    john> ide?

The SATA drives are treated as scsi (/dev/sd*) devices.

Don't return the G5 just yet. Believe me, it works with Debian.

Cheers!
Shyamal