Debian install on biege G3

Hello all,

I've done a fair bit of looking around on the above subject and tried many
times to get Debian running on the G3 here but have to resort to troubling
you folks.

Spec:
OW biege G3 - 333MHz
8gig HD
SCSI CD drive (from what I've read, no chance of installing from CD drive)

I'm using BootX from a small OS9 partition. I've used a net-drivers floppy
to run the installer. I used "guided" partitioning option, installaton
starts, fine. Then at the end it tries to use install quik, I'm not to sure
on playing with OF so select complete without bootloader. Then am told
location of boot disk (/dev/sda7) and to pass "root=/dev/sda7" as a kernal
argument.

When I've attempted to re-boot via bootX with above details a bunch of stuff
flashes past the screen and ends with something like "VFS cannot open root
device sda7 please append a correct root= option"

Can anyone help/hold my hand through this install?

Cheers,
Dave