PowerMac G5 yaboot install failed

Using the latest testing Debian PPC netinstall, loading onto a brand-new
( but NOT dual core ) Dual-proc 2.0 PowerMac.

I get a failure to install the yaboot loader.

NOTE: I have no Mac OS X - these are fresh disks.

I have tried:
Many different partitioning schemes- including 'guided'
All 3 kernels in the menu ( superstition I guess)

I do have a 33kb apple partition on each disk
I do have a bootable 1 meg New World partition
Yaboot does try to install onto the bootable New World partition.

error message:
Installing base system... succeeds
Install yaboot to hard disk fails:
"failed to install boot loader"