Re: Reset PegasOS Open Firmware configuration to default

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 12:35:27PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> [Sorry Sven, this was meant for the list, not you personaly]
>
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:

> >> I'm currently working on a mail about this (I've been doing that since
> >> you told me to hookup a serial console a couple of months ago :)
> >>
> >> I'm busy, and getting 2.6 up and running on the PegasOS is quite
> >
> > low-priority ? I mean, you are losing time and effort to try something which
> > has not been support by either genesi, debian or upstream since a couple of
> > years, and you find no time to get the out-of-the-box working 2.6 kernel up
> > and running on your box ?
>
> Why should I mess with a working system!? The 2.4 kernel have been working
> flawlessly since I got it (pre-installed) about a year ago... Getting a faster
> kernel (i.e. 2.6) is only a BONUS, not a REQUIRENMENT!

Because 2.4 kernels on powerpc have been mostly abandoned upstream since
almost two years, sarge only had a 2.4 kernel because needed it for the miboot
floppies, and etch will not have it (well, maybe for nubus pmacs, but those
where not supported previously).

> > Ah, it works out of the box, for all pegasos boxes i know about.
>
> Well, now you know one that it DOESN'T work for :)

It does work. you have some other problem.

> >> That was what I tried. That is usual behaviour on SPARC, and the Open
> >> Firmware is 'almost' the same (just not as good if you ask me). Before
> >> I even tried redirecting i/o, I tried to just remove the keyboard - nothing...
> >
> > mmm, what pegasos revision/model do you have, and what is the date of your
> > firmware ?
>
> Motherboard rev 283. Don't know the date/rev of the firmware. Forgot to check
> while it (the config/setup) was working.

Mmm.

> >> That was what I thought as well, but I couldn't find anything
> >> about that...
> >
> > Look at the bapln-gmbh web page.
>
> Oki, found it. I was under the inpression that I had a PegasOS 1 (one)
> machine. Never understood the 'DUAL' it said on the motherboard. But looking
> at the pictures, it's quite obvious that it's a II.
>
> But I'm still in trouble here. It require me to press enter before doing
> the update and I can't do that...

use the serial console then.

> >> I guess I can try 'type in the blind'. I've done quite extensive
> >> repairs without any display :)
>
> Nope, didn't seem to work.
>
> > I don't know, i feel you might have buggy or strange hardware.
>
> Looks like it.
>
> I can't remember, but does the 2.4 kernel on the PegasOS have anything like
> the /proc/openprom the SPARC kernel(s) have? If it does, MAYBE I can hack the
> init script(s) to change the {input,output}-device files.

Nope, not yet anyway, its still on my TODO list :)

I am not sure the debian-powerpc mailing list is the best way to solve these
problems though, have you tried the bplan/genesi tech support ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther