Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:35:04PM -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> This was the last message I saw in this thread -- has there been any
> progress in tracking this issue down?
>
> I recently dist-upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to Ubuntu Breezy (5.10) and then
> began experiencing the sudden random power losses. Since I'm running a 1998
> PowerBook G3 Series (aka "Wallstreet II" or "PDQ") my first thoughts were
> aging hardware, or the nearly dead PRAM battery. (I'd LIKE to replace it,
> but what an ordeal!)
>
> Ubuntu 5.10's kernel is 2.6.12-10-powerpc.

I turned off frequency switching, and it still happened.  I have
turned of preempt in the kernel and it still happened too.  This all
on an G3 iBook.

I am using some -git kernel from a few days after 2.6.14 was released,
and it still happens there.

It is extremely annoying that I can no way to trigger it with any
regularity.  It will happen as often as I'm typing something in Emacs
as surfing the web as building something, both on and off A/C.
Sometimes it happens when the iBook has not been to sleep at all
(i.e. from a fresh reboot) and sometimes I can sleep and wake it up
probably 20 times before anything happens.

I'm very sick of booting to fsck with "you have not checked your
filesystem for X thousand days" since the clock gets reset to 1904!
Anyway, suggestions appreciated.

-i