Re: Advice: USB wireless adapter for PB 12" running Ubantu

Christopher Adkins <cadkins@mac.com> schrieb am 07.08.05 08:57:31:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a powerbook 12"/667mhz which duel boots to Ubantu 5.04.  The
> Ubantu side currently has doesn't  recognize the Airport Extreme card
> because of the infamous broadcom security issue.
>
> As a result I'm looking for a cheap USB wireless adapter which will
> function on the Ubantu side.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on what brands will actually work?  I've
> looked through some compatibility sites but what I would really like to
> hear is advice from people who currently have similar systems and a USB
> wireless adapter that works with PPC and ubantu/debian (2.6 kernel).

Hello Christopher,

I'm quite happily using the DLink DWL-122 USB adaptor. It works well
under my Debian ibook running a self-compiled Linux 2.6.12 kernel.
But it's just an 802.11b (11Mbit) adaptor, not a 11g one.

For using it on your Powerbook, you obviously must also compile
your own kernel, in order to compile and install the linux-wlan-ng
kernel modules: Unfortunately, the linux-wlan-ng-modules package is
not provided in Debian for powerpc. Bye the way: Does anybody know,
why it is not there for powerpc?

The source code is available under ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/.
I'm using the latest one (linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre26.tar.gz). If you have the
kernel source tree for you compiled kernel, compilation of the linux-wlan-ng
kernel module is straightforward.

Vivenzio

PS: You can also use this adaptor under MacOSX, even though every now
and then it causes a kernel panic, there. Uncomfortable, but still usable if
you are patient enough ;-)