Re: Noise in X bitmaps. Beige G3.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:50:30AM +0100, David Deans wrote:
> I'm currently running Debian Linux Sarge on an old beige Powermac G3,
> 266Mhz. Up till now I have run the machine without X without problems,

> However, X seems to suffer from occasional problems in rendering the
> screen. Every now and again, X will render a bitmap or a window with a
> whole bunch of noise in it. You can "clear" the noise away by running
> a window slowly over the affected area, but it usually returns.
>
> Is this a common problem?

> Kernel: 2.6.8
> Memory: 92.1MB
> Video: 2Meg, ATI Rage Pro. I do not use the framebuffer.

My old lombard used to render artifacts in images
and it was introduced at some point with an update of the xserver.
It also had a rage pro.

You could try switching off some hardware acceleration options
as I found some emails saying the hardware had problems with some of those.
This worked for me with vectors, it might help with images, too.

For reference see: