Re: Finding non apt-managed files

According to Matthew T. Atkinson, on Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:22:05 +0000,
>'ello,
>
>The more I learn about the stuff you can do with APT, the more I am
>impressed.  I hope to set up an apt-build-generated repository of these
>days :-).  Anyway, I was wondering:
>
>Is it possible to find all the files on the system that are not managed
>by apt (i.e. is there a command to do this)?  I would like to keep my
>system tidy and have been doing a lot of development work recently that
>I want to make sure hasn't put anything where it shouldn't.
>
>best regards,

That's not an exact answer, but it may be usefull anyway. Checkinstall is a good tool to
keep a track of installed software. When you make install, it monitors installed files and
generate a corresponding packet that you can easily remove afterward (a kind of uninstall
a la windows). I cannot find it on debian anymore, but you can compile it and use it
to install itself.

Cedric