Re: ibook2 r128 xv colour corruption

On Fri, 2005-04-03 at 14:26 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 20:17 -0700, Mauro wrote:
>
> > Not too good as enabling accel on a iMac DV with a Rage 128 locks up my
> > comp real bad, can't even get into console to reboot or kill X with the
> > three finger salute.  This problem was reported about two years ago to
> > this list. I don't think anything came of it (I haven't checked debian
> > bug reports but this should have been taken care of years ago, evidently
> > it wasn't fixed and/or reported).  It  seems a persistent problem as
> > even ubuntu warty and hoary have this bug (and they credit it to
> > debian).  The solution is to use daenzer's Xfree86 (sarge or sid), don't
> > install Xscreensaver and any associated accel/DRI? screensavers, and
> > avoid xfce or at least logging out/enabling screensaver with xfce.  With
> > these modifications, accel works without lockups and debian/ubuntu are
> > solid on my iMac.  It seems all ppc distros I've tried have this
> > problem, debian-ppc, source mage (confirmed via emails), yellowdog 4 (I
> > tested), and I read that gentoo had some problems too (although there is
> > a fix now).  The only distro that has always had accel work w/o lockups
> > (as long as you chose the right kernel) is mandrake.  But this distro
> > now suffers from a lack of support and there seem to be a limited number
> > of testers and models it has been tested on.  Plus, I got used to
> > debian's package manager via fink so I was somewhat prepped for debian
> > while on OS X.
> >
> > There you go, my experience.
>
> Hrm... while 2D accel should be stable, I don't think r128 DRI/3D has
> even been ...
>
> Ben.

To be honest I've never found out the difference between 3D accel and
r128 DRI/3D.  All I know is that the default debian/ubuntu xfree86
crashes in seconds flat if I run glxgears, although it may last much
longer (over night or a little longer [seems somewhat unpredictable
while running mundane desktop apps other than it will eventually
lockup]) if glxgears is not run, and this doesn't happen with daenzer's
xfree86 and the tweaks mentioned.  I would like to note that I have
tested the same XF86Config file with both xservers; This results in the
freeze with the default xfree and not freezing with daenzer's xfree as
stated above.