Re: ***kernal panic on starting Appletalk services***

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Kim Cascone wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2005, at 12:18 PM, David Pye wrote:
>
> >> this doesn't work either...I can get to the yaboot prompt but when I
> >> type in 'linux single' or 'single' or other permutations I get a no
> >> such file or directory
> >
> > Try pressing tab instead, and see what happens.
>
> nope all I get is 'Linux: 		old'
> nothing else
> I'll try the Ubuntu list...thanks!

 If you've got the ubuntu install CD boot from that, then hit 'tab' at
the yaboot prompt.  There is an image called rescue (or something very
like that) - it starts off for all the world like a fresh install (e.g.
gets a dhcp address), then asks you which partition you want to rescue.

 'vim' is on there, but on my iBook it couldn't find a terminfo file and
dropped back to 'ascii' which makes line inserts/deletes amusing.  but I
managed to fix the damage I'd done to yaboot.conf, so it is usable.

Ken