Re: And d-i initrd images (vmlinux and initrd.gz only) available too. (was Re: New 2.4.27 powerpc kernel packages ready, please test (including nubus and apus support) ...)

> Try these ones :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/new-2.4-kernels
>
> I guess both the powerpc/netboot/2.4 or powerpc/netboot/2.6 should do,
> and work with BootX.

Finally - a breakthrough !! ;-)  The 2.4 kernel, even with all of the
settings in BootX which work with my own kernel, will not boot my 8500.
After I select that kernel image, it doesn't matter what setting, or
if I use the matching ramdisk or not, but all I get is a black sreen +
no system activity.  I can't say that I tried every single iteration
of options (though it felt like I came close :), but nothing seemed to
work for me.

The 2.6 kernel and ramdisk though, seemed to work perfectly, at least
up till the part where I had to partition the system disks. I did have
a little trouble getting the udebs from the mirrors but I think my ISP
network is more the cause of that.  However, since I wasn't actually
ready to install to this system yet, I did not proceed past that point.

Thanks again Sven.  The 2.6 based installer seemed to find all of my
hardware, so I don't foresee any major issues.  However, when I do a
backup of what I currently need on my existing installation, I will
do a complete re-install, and I can post back here the results.  That
will not be till this weekend, most likely.

Thanx
vinai