Re: Problem installing on PowerMac 8600

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 20:47, Patrick Bachmann wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:36 pm, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > Hmmm... this is the woody floppy and it should work, I guess this might by
> > a floppy media issue -> try another floppy.
> Well, I went to Staples and got me a new set of floppies that even have a two
> year guarantee on them, but it still didn't work.
>
> > Always write floppies with "dd" and compare them with "cmp" after writing.
> That's how I did it for all floppies. cmp can't find any difference. But the
> images just don't get recognized by the Macintosh to be bootable.

One more thing to try.  Go to Staples again and buy a floppy drive
cleaning kit (a thing that looks like a floppy disk but with a piece of
fiberous material in place of the mylar disk -- it often comes with a
bottle of "cleaning solution" which is really just distilled water.)

Old floppy drives, especially if infrequently used, get really dusty
inside.  This interferes with reading.

Rick