Re: Problem installing on PowerMac 8600

Hi Patrick,

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 18:02, Patrick Bachmann wrote:
> This OldWorld-maschine doesn't want to boot the floppies, I'm trying to
> feed it with.
> There are various floppies I have tried, e.g. the woody and sarge boot
> floppies and the floppies of the rc2 of the debian installer.
> The only floppy, that gives me some kind of feedback is the
> boot-floppy-hfs.img. After being read, an icon of a floppy with tux on it,
> apears. But nothing else happens.

Hmmm... this is the woody floppy and it should work, I guess this might by a
floppy media issue -> try another floppy.

Always write floppies with "dd" and compare them with "cmp" after writing.

Because of unresolved legal problems with miboot, the official builds of the
new debian-installer cannot contain working (boot-) floppies images. But they
are available at
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

(Be "warned" that these are unstable builds of d-i which install Debian sid.
When rc3 is is available, we'll make sure that there will be unofficial
rc3-builds with miboot, which then can be used to install sarge.)

You could also try ../floppy/ which contains floppy images with 2.6 kernel -
if you have success with those please report it. (I never had.)

> Can someone please give me a pointer at what to do? I really want to
> resolve this issue, it has been occupiing me for a while.

Feel free to ask again, if needed...

regards,
 Holger