Help: Virtual Terminal Woes

I'm still unable to log into a virtual terminal on my PowerBook.

After setting up Debian, the "Enjoy..." prompt was displayed. I selected OK, and instead of giving me a prompt, the machine just sits there. Similarly, if I switch to a virtual terminal, I can log in, but then the system just sits doing nothing.

There must be something I need to be doing as this is a complete plain vanilla installation with nothing changed. I selected the [*] Desktop Environment, but nothing else.

Any ideas would be great, it's a real pain!!

Cheers,

Ben