Re: French keyboard PowerBook G4 ( alu ) with KDE

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:51:05AM +0100, Bruno Beaufils wrote:

> I had got the same problem with either my old TiBook and my new AlBook (the
> one with ATI 9600 graphic card).
>
> My solution was to bypass all those new stuff not well documented (XKB)
> and use plain old Xmodmap.

Actually, if you get the sources of xorg or xfree86, the
files XKBproto.ps.gz and XKBlib.ps.gz contain a detailed
documentation or keyboard handling in X.

I don't know why they are not shipped with development
packages (but you may need some aspirin to digest them).

Now where is the KISS principle when you need 400 pages
to describe keyboard handling? And they still do not give
the formal syntax of what xkbcomp accepts, although it's
fairly easy to guess from there.

	Gabriel