2.6 kernel for iBook 500 Mhz G3 dual usb

Since upgrading Gnome I see the odd warning about services which require a 2.6 kernel to work properly (eg. HAL I think, though I don't have the machine handy to check). I'm running a custom built 2.4 kernel at the moment with which everything works - sleep, internal modem, 3D acceleration, etc.

Does anybody know if there's a 2.6 kernel package I can apt-get which will work with this hardware configuration? If not perhaps a link to a tutorial explaining how to build a suitable 2.6 kernel?