Re: Getting rid of hotplug & Co. for 2.6

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:31:52AM +1300, Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:30, Jacob S wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:58:45 +0100
> >
> > Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

       [ ... ]

> I love both HAL and udev -- they make the computer so much more user friendly.
> Someone drops by with a USB memory stick? Just plug it in...  Buy an ipod,
> plug it in, and you'll see it mounted under /media/ieee754drive (I think, I
> changed it to /media/ipod in a conffile).  It gives linux the positive parts
> of plug&play.

How about a simple CDrom that does not get recognised by the
kernel/hotplug until I would load the sg driver forcefully via
/etc/modules-2.6 ? :) That's what is happening here ...

OTH: You've convinced me somehow. I won't purge hotplug
completely. Because it won't hurt to start it later after booting with
a simple '/etc/init.d/hotplug start' or so. But I still don't want to see
hotplug & friends when booting. Definitely.

> I understand hal would be even nicer if I used gnome, but the
> gnome-vfs-manager is supposed to be becoming a freedesktop project and so KDE
> will support the same features RSN...
>
> Having said that, I don't care about boot times, I boot my computer perhaps
> once a week

That's about what I used to do before my hard disk broke, after only
about 26 months of usage on a Titanium IV: So I simply try to test now
whether it really helps for a longer disk life if I shut down the
machine every night. I doubt it will ... :) ... but let's see ..

> and so the difference between one minute to boot and ten isn't
> important.

                      [ ... ]

It's not important, you're right. At least not so in a non-business
environment like the one I have here, currently.

But how about a situation where I want to show a friend of mine a
modern Linux when booting? And please remember that XP nowadays
reboots in about 15 secs (or at least *very* fast: I've seen it some
time ago ...): And now imagine this guy watching a stuttering
hotplugged kernel, that, as it seems to me sometimes, does not know
even where its feet are moving, doing 3 or more times the same thing,
like "bla already blacklisted", again and again. Sometimes trying to
blacklist stuff that already was moved out of the way moments
before. Or that's at least how I remember the pain (I cannot re-read this in
the logs as the hotplug stutter isn't copied into them ..).

So: No, Corinn. No.No.No. This is 2005. :)

And besides: Isn't a slow booting computer a bit like Marilyn Manson
singing Christmas songs by the Christmas tree, with his Happy
Family. Can you imagine that? I can't ...

But yes: All this sometimes simply is a matter of taste. Or no
taste. One might say. :)

Thanks to everyone participating in this thread.

Bye
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer