Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:29:57 +0100
Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:

> I changed to the boot-device and boot-file to
>
> boot-device ata/ATA-disk@0:6
> boot-file ata/ATA-disk@0:6/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc
>
>  and guess what happened, linux booted!!!

Always a pleasing moment. You are almost there :-)

> It didn't get its initrd and therefore failed to mount root,
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unkown-block(0,1)
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on uknown-block(0,1)
>  (0)Rebooting

This was a common problem with previous, non-initrd enabled quik
versions-- are you sure you've got the latest quik from sarge ?

> but that should be a minor problem.

You may also try with a non-initrd kernel.

> The boot-file argument, should that point to the virtual image name
> given in /etc/quik.conf or a real file containing the linux kernel?

Actually, it may be both, or sometimes empty, in which case quik should
boot the 'default' image you defined in quik.conf. AFAIK, this is quite
machine-dependent : some models do seem to require the full path to the
image in 'boot-file', others are quite happy with a quik label.

Simon
--

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header