Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 03:02 AM, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

I thought that I could always zap pram and boot from cd into macos and
bootX, but holding down command-option-p-r after reboot doesn't help.
The screen stays black and I don't hear any disk spinning up. Tried to
boot from CD or floppy, but failed. I realize that I need a mac-serial
cable and nullmodem-cable to debug this further.

That's odd. Given that you've wiped MacOS from the disk you should get a grey screen with the no-disk icon. Not hearing the disk is odd as well.

Ignoring the disk for now, the symptom indicates that NVRAM wasn't reset. You need to hold cmd-opt-P-R down _during_ boot, not after, and hold them down until you hear the second boot chime.

Apple's Howto is at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

If all else fails, you can open the case and remove the PRAM battery until the setting evaporate. (the battery may need replacing anyway.)