Re: Debian versus custom kernel (was: Re: Linux on the Mac Mini -- Updated)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:53:18PM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Feb 11 2005, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > I strongly disagree.  Debian's kernels are good one-size-fits-all
> > kernels, but they definitely lack in efficiency and perfomance speed.
>
> I would like to know in which aspects the speed of the system would be
> *appreciatively* different.
>
> I've been using kernels built by me for so long that I don't really
> remember what I it would be like to be using a Debian kernel, but what I do
> is just for extra features or to save memory, to avoid using an initrd (I
> hate that) and to be minimalistic.

He, i am interested to know how much smaller your kernel is with relation to
the debian 2.6 kernels, altough the initrd removal may be an argument. I also
doubt you will be able to build more features than those i build as modules.

I also did not like the initrd previously, but for a distribution kernel, i
have come to like it, and it is an elegant enough solution. I even build
rescue-initrd's with partimage and other stuff like that on it, very very
convenient stuff to be able to easily build it from the debian kernel.

Friendly,

Sven Luther