Re: Linux on the Mac Mini -- Updated

On Feb 11 2005, William R Sowerbutts wrote:
> That's clever. I'll have to give it a go one day. Does it support
> journalled HFS+?  The Mac Mini ships with a single journalled HFS+
> partition spanning the entire disk. I'm not sure how journalling was
> implemented in HFS+, presumably it's backwards-compatible?

I am under the impression that journalling in HFS+ was implemented the same
way ext3 was implemented over ext2, because if I mount the HFS+ Journalled
filesystem on a Linux system, Linux shows two hidden files that I can
delete.

If I do that, MacOS X just shows the filesystem as a non-journalled HFS+
filesystem and, with Disk Tool (or was it Disk Util, I can't remember the
name of the thing) I can re-enable journalling and the files appear there
again.

This seems to be similar to ext3's .journal file.

Hope this is informative, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php