Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:10:47PM -0500, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> I can run Debian on a 7200/120 _without_ any MacOS partition ?
> Is my understanding correct ?
>
> <eyeing my 7200/120 with a new look>
>
> I don't have a MacOS that works on the 7200, so can I do the install
> without MacOS ?  Or do I need MacOS to do the install and then
> I can blow it away ?

Maybe someone else can answer that -- I started with MacOS, installed
LinuxPPC years ago, then switched to Debian, getting rid of the MacOS
partitions along the way.

> I would really love to know the steps needed to get my 7200
> to be a pure Linux system.  How much RAM do I need or should
> have on the system ? I'm just going to use it as a mail/web server
> or maybe as a firewall.  And if possible, keep it headless.

This is exactly how I use my 7600 (as a headless firewall).  It has
160M of RAM and a 1GB SCSI disk, utilized as follows:

$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:           155        143         12          0         42
69
-/+ buffers/cache:         31        124
Swap:          198          0        198

(So I'd guess 64M would be plenty for a firewall.)

/dev/sda2            1008M  424M  534M  45% /

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u