Re: Starting-up a server automaticly

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 08:42 +1100, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> According to Adam Done, on Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:17:30 -0800,
> >I have a server I would love to start-up all on its own just like OS X
> >does.  I have been looking but I don't know if I am using the wrong key
> >words to search.  Can someone direct me with some key words to search
> >and is it possible in Linux to have a system start-up from a cold boot
> >i.e. in the morning?
> >
> >-Adam
> >

> Hi Adam,
>
> Can you give more details ?
> Do you mean that you want to have the system auto-login a la win98 ?
>
> Or do you mean that from a power-off state, the system boots directly to the login prompt
> of linux, without any user keystroke ?
> In this case, it depends of your bootloader I think. With yaboot, you just have to
> put the right options in the configuration file.
>
> Maybe you mean that you want to specify a time for the machine to boot ? I've seen some
> threads about that on this list some times ago. It seemed to have a link with some
> openfirmware commands for the PMU.
> I would really like to know if there have been progress on this point.
>
> Cheers,
> Cedric

I have a server that has to to be powered down at night and I am looking
to have it autimaticly turn on at a particular time in the morning i.e.
8am to be available during the working day.  The server is kept out in
the open at a house I am installing some equipment and it is to loud
right now to keep on 24/7.  It is the first generation of the Xserv.

        <quote who="Moritz Armingeon">
        > I guess you are talking about runlevels. Have a look at

        I think he's talking about sheduled poweron/poweroff. Time ago i
        heard of
        pmacpow project working on that for Linux.

Yes, that is it, sorry I could not thing of the words. LOL

-adam