installing from source

Hi:
I want to know where can I set up system-wide options if I intend to install packages from source (and where do I find a list of available options). Things like setting up the processor type and (possible) optimizations. I also noted that FreeBSD has in its port system, a way of telling the system whether things like X are installed or not (a system-wide version of --without-X or something like that, for every package you will install on that machine - it's in /etc/make.conf i believe). Does debian has something similar? I have an iBook G3 500 MHz and I'm trying to optimize the most. Any hint? Gentoo would be the way to go for most people (do you want a custom compiled system for your machine? go gentoo), but I'm confortable with Debian already, and I just think that installing debian from source (with proper optimizations) would render a similar system in the end, despite of whether you use gentoo or debian (am i right, right?).
Regards
Osvaldo