user login problem

I am using unstable. I cannot login as a user, can as root. I was
getting pam_start errors and I copied some files to /etc/pam.d that
had   dpkg-dist at the end of their names. I dont get the errors any
more but the login for user fails. Dont know if it is a different
problem but I get a error message "no shell" when I from root su
<user>. I reinstalled every package that had pam in the name. I dont
know what else to try. Any ideas??
Thank you
mike