Re: gramofile wav format not accepted by other sound programs

* James Tappin (sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk) wrote:

> 4) Most more-recently updated/maintained sound tools now use libsndfile
> and other standard sound libraries which didn't exist when gramofile was
> written.
Yes. I'm just looking at libsndfile.

> Therefore I guess that gramofile is writing big-endian wav files,
> whereas all the other tools are assuming that the files are
> little-endian and swapping the bytes, thus getting silly numbers from
> the header -- just be thankful they don't get as far as sending anything
> to your speakers as the results could be harmful to them and to your
> ears.
Running file on a gramofile output file may be producing default wording
with irrelevant endianness

nick@stirling ~ % file Vynil/new.wav
Vynil/new.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, 512 channels 1152122880 Hz

> to be perfectly honest it is legacy software. For recording, I usually
> use arecord from the command line these days and gwc for denoising.

Can't see these two as debppc packages. Need to look further afield.

Thanks,

Nick