Re: Trouble installing debian on a 8500/120

On (24/01/05 09:15), Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Clive Menzies
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Suggest you try the new sarge d-i rc2 - it's 'soon' to be the next
>
> Hem, i've just tried sarge rc2, but as i've just stated, the floppy
> image seems not bootable, and the documentation still speak about the
> woody image (boot-floppy-hfs.img), so seems not updated.
>

> So, how i can boot my oldworld 8500/120 without macos?
> [clearly if i have macos i can install some bootloader from within...]
>

> Hope now it is clear. ;)
Hi Marco

To boot the installer use BootX (from the Macos) and then during the
install select to install quik as your boot loader if you want a pure
Debian box.  If you wipe the MacOS during the install (partitioning
stage) then you have no way back should quik fail.

The safest way is to leave a small MacOS partition to be able to use
BootX when necessary and install quik as your bootloader.  To use BootX
you need to copy the kernel files created during the install to the Mac
side before you reboot into your newly installed system.

It is a while since I've done this so checkout the ports page at
debian.org and:
http://penguinppc.org/mac/

Regards

Clive