Re: AGP Support in PesasosII

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 23:47 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > or if we will have to wait for X.org server ?
> >
> > Or you could try John Lightsey's DRI packages:
> >
> > http://www.nixnuts.net/files/experimental/
>
> Ah, thanks ... Arg no powerpc binaries, but i guess they are buildable from
> the available sources. BTW, i never really understood why those packages never
> did make it to the official experimental pool, or even to unstable, since they
> don't cause any conflict at all with existing X packages.

I don't remember anybody even asking to consider that seriously, and it
was really mostly a pet project to satisfy my own needs and IMHO didn't
(and wasn't meant to) meet Debian quality. If anybody wanted to take it
further, they should have stepped forward (or should now, for that
matter).

> > > Also is it true that disabling page flopping also allows for >2x1024
> > > mergedfb resolution ?
> >
> > No, that's an orthogonal issue. Incidentally, a solution to overcome
> > this limitation has been discussed for a while as well...
>
> Ah, i thought that when you do page flopping, you have to have the whole
> screen in the address range, while in the normal mode you could only have this
> limitation for actual graphic windows. I may be wrong though.

Yep, the limitation applies to the actual rendering, which is exactly
the same in both cases.

> Do newer ati chips at least lift this restriction ?

Not substantially, R300 and up can render up to 2560x2560 with some
minor trickery though.

Anyway, this is getting OT, please take it up on a forum where it's
relevant if you want to know more.