Re: AGP Support in PesasosII

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 04:08:36PM -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 10:48 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > If you have page flipping enabled, that's a known bug for which a
> > > solution is currently being discussed on the DRI lists.
> >
> > Ah ... Wonder if you will do a new dri-trunk release once that fix is
> > implemented,
>
> I'm afraid that's rather unlikely.

He. Too busy i guess.

> > or if we will have to wait for X.org server ?
>
> Or you could try John Lightsey's DRI packages:
>
> http://www.nixnuts.net/files/experimental/

Ah, thanks ... Arg no powerpc binaries, but i guess they are buildable from
the available sources. BTW, i never really understood why those packages never
did make it to the official experimental pool, or even to unstable, since they
don't cause any conflict at all with existing X packages.

And John is not even a DD, oh, well.

> > Also is it true that disabling page flopping also allows for >2x1024
> > mergedfb resolution ?
>
> No, that's an orthogonal issue. Incidentally, a solution to overcome
> this limitation has been discussed for a while as well...

Ah, i thought that when you do page flopping, you have to have the whole
screen in the address range, while in the normal mode you could only have this
limitation for actual graphic windows. I may be wrong though. Do newer ati
chips at least lift this restriction ?

> > > The free DRI drivers only use video RAM for textures, all the geometry
> > > etc. still goes over the bus, so PCI is definitely a bottle neck.
> >
> > Yep, understood, sadly there is not much we can do about that, since even
> > moving the geometry and stuff onto the video RAM will not help, since we have
> > to tranfer it at runtime, and cannot really pre-load it, right ?
>
> It depends, at least stuff like display lists could be cached.

Ah, cool.

> > Next version should have PCI-E 16x directly from the chip-builtin northbridge,
> > so that will be a huge gain over even stuff like the amd64 which only buildin
> > the memory controller. Then the pegasos becomes a real gaming plateform, if
> > there are specs or drivers available for modern graphic cards that is.
>
> Sounds good.

Yep. Still need to wait for samples from Freescale though, hopefully we will
have boards next christmas if timing is good, but it could be later too.

Friendly,

Sven Luther