Re: AGP Support in PesasosII

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 10:48 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 03:54:07PM -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 15:21 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > All the 3d stuff available in debian works well (well, they play hell
> > > with mergedfb dual-head mode, quake2 transformed my dual-head setup
> > > into cloned mode, dissapearing without recourse all my windows on the
> > > other head).
> >
> > If you have page flipping enabled, that's a known bug for which a
> > solution is currently being discussed on the DRI lists.
>
> Ah ... Wonder if you will do a new dri-trunk release once that fix is
> implemented,

I'm afraid that's rather unlikely.

> or if we will have to wait for X.org server ?

Or you could try John Lightsey's DRI packages:

http://www.nixnuts.net/files/experimental/

> Also is it true that disabling page flopping also allows for >2x1024
> mergedfb resolution ?

No, that's an orthogonal issue. Incidentally, a solution to overcome
this limitation has been discussed for a while as well...

> > > And AGP is probably not really so much of a benefit anyway in these
> > > ages of multi-hundred MB of onboard ram.
> >
> > The free DRI drivers only use video RAM for textures, all the geometry
> > etc. still goes over the bus, so PCI is definitely a bottle neck.
>
> Yep, understood, sadly there is not much we can do about that, since even
> moving the geometry and stuff onto the video RAM will not help, since we have
> to tranfer it at runtime, and cannot really pre-load it, right ?

It depends, at least stuff like display lists could be cached.

> Next version should have PCI-E 16x directly from the chip-builtin northbridge,
> so that will be a huge gain over even stuff like the amd64 which only buildin
> the memory controller. Then the pegasos becomes a real gaming plateform, if
> there are specs or drivers available for modern graphic cards that is.

Sounds good.