sound-permission

Has anyone ever had any trouble configuring sound on a blue iMac G3 running 2.4? I can't play my mp3s any more. KDE gives me an error message on start up something like can't access /dev/dsp access denied, lack of permission; will continue using null output. I canged my permission on /dev/dsp to 777 with no luck. I have only basic knowlege of linux and so I hardly know whear to begin. I have tried to fiddle with the kmix progam to no avail. I don't even know what sound card I have. Anybody have some ideas?

Do you Yahoo!?