Permission for 'dev/pmu'

I recently reinstalled Sarge PPC on a G4 iMac. Each time I boot up now, I get an error warning:

"Error:   Wrong permission for 'dev/pmu' device"

I've tracked thru the system & all the ref books on hand, also various linux sites online. Conclusion so far is that this permission problem on /dev/pmu is what is responsible for the fact I have >no< sound in the system, despite the fact that I've installed alsa and any number of sound tools.

Here's my listing in /dev:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root root      1,   3 2005-01-07 12:27 null
crw-rw----  1 root root     10, 144 2005-01-07 12:27 nvram
crw-rw----  1 root root     10, 154 2005-01-07 12:27 pmu
crw-r-----  1 root kmem      1,   4 2005-01-07 12:27 port
crw-------  1 root root    108,   0 2005-01-07 12:27 ppp

It's clear pmu is a character device, which helps interface betw the kernel and various hardware devices, but beyond that, I'm lost.

Would someone please help me (1) interpret my error message above; (2) explain how it relates to my lack of sound; (3) where to go from here to resolve the issue.

Thanks so much.      --Harvey