Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:47:57PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:48:43PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Not sure if i can respond at this time about this, since G5 supply may be
> > constrained by the will of IBM and/or Apple, it may be an unhealthy place to
> > be for an alternative powerpc motherboard manufacturer.
>
> There's embedded G5 boards already, the IBM reference design is
> supported by current 2.6 kernels.

Well, sure, but i was referring as list price for cpu doubling suddenly if you
go against IBM markets and such stuff. Bet what will happen to G5 availability
if we were to release a machine in the imac G5 class ?

> > We will have boards
> > based on the next gen Freescale CPUs though (single and dual core with
> > integrated northbridge), which should be a serious performance bump, but
> > staying with 32bit cpus. You don't _really_ need 64bitness anyway.
>
> It's pretty nice actually as soon as you have more than a Gigabyte of
> main memory..

Sure, but do you really need that ? For a desktop / developer machine ? I
suppose the pegasos as it stands can go upto 2GB of memory, maybe even 4GB if
there are 2GB sticks available. Theoretically the cpu can address upto 8GB,
but the current design has not the >4GB cpu-to-motherboard lines wired. Still,
you could use stuff in excess of 4GB, or 4GB-io-space, using some kind of DMA
buffers on the northbridge or whatnot, since the marvell discovery II can
address 8GB itself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther