Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:22:13AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:31:48PM -0700, Adam wrote:
> > I have been trying for the past couple of years trying to play DVDs on
> > my Linux box and every time I run into some road blocks.  i have studied
> > what other people have asked in the archives with a search of DVD in the
> > subject and body and also in the users.debian lists also.  I have read
> > and tried the many suggestions and can not figure why I  am having some
> > issues.
>
> 1) Upgrade to the (from unstable) 2.6.7 kernel package.

I've got DVD playback working fine with kernel 2.4.25.

$ uname -a
Linux sisyphus 2.4.25-powerpc-smp #1 SMP mer avr 14 16:31:15 CEST 2004 ppc GNU/Linux

One of your own kernels, even.

> 2) don't use ide-scsi, but play from the /dev/hdb or whatver directly.

I second this recommendation.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Sometimes, getting your patch in is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    just a matter of waiting for