Re: Solid lockup on latest benh 2.6 kernel + PB 12"

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 05:22, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 12:36, David Pye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an Albook G4 12" powerbook (NVidia GFX) and I have been experiencing
> a number of hard crashes since installing the latest benh rsync'd kernel and
> Debian Sid (same result as a two day old benh rsync'd one). (compiled
> gcc-3.3)
>
> The crash APPEARS to be related to the framebuffer -there's no oops etc, just
> a complete lockup.

What happens if you boot with video=ofonly or video=rivafb:noaccel ?

Ben.

I am having the same problems my self and been working on this for the last week know and my 2.6 benh kernel always stop on boot process when it gets to the ps/2 mouse... never going on further.  I tried using

video=ofonly
video=rivafb:noaccel

and
video=aty128fb:noaccel

each of these just gives me a blank screen.  I can't even look at any loged messages because nothing gets to the point in the boot process to log to syslog.

I also found when compiling the kernel changing

SERIO_I8042 to N
SERIO_SERPORT to N

I can boot all the way.. BUT then I can not use a mouse....

Now when i boot into a 2.6.3 kernel.org kernel.. i can boot all the way but the FB is all mest up.  When having GDM start up in the boot process I only get one of my X sessions.. I have 2 X sessions started.. one on tty6 and the other on tty7 and the one on tty6 is the only usable session.  I also can not use any of my tty1-5 terminals.  This happens with any 2.6 kernel I use... I know.. the FB is dif in 2.6 but for some reason I can't fix this.