Re: TiBook adventures

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 01:15, Jonas Borgström wrote:
Michel Dänzer wrote:

Even without 3D hardware acceleration, the radeon driver offers much
more than the fbdev driver, e.g. 2D acceleration, XVideo, multihead, ...

Speaking of multihead. Have anyone managed to get mulihead working on a
Powerbook 15" with a radeon 9600 card?

I've tried both XFree86 4.4rc1 and the xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk package.
It (xinerama) almost works but the dvi-output is distorted.
The external monitor seems to have the same distortions as these pictures:

Do you hvae "UseFBDev" enabled ? You shouldn't for multihead...
No, I use this configuration:
http://bobcat.edgewall.com/~jonas/powerbook/XF86Config-4

If I remember correctly the output on the DVI connection might look like the picture
I got when I tried to get XFree86 to work with a 2.4 kernel.

It is hard to describe how the screen looks like but:
It looks like the framebuffer isn't sent by the ramdac in a linear fashion. The screen gets divided into tiles of the 32x32 pixels or something. If a small window (xlogo) is placed in the top left corner I see parts of the window scattered all the way to right hand side of
the screen.
The cursor is drawn ok though but I guess it is because it's a hardware cursor.

If I look at the monitor before starting X I see some text from the kernel boot. It looks like the text the kernel prints just as it starts booting (initializing radeondb). This is
displayed without the "effect" I tried to describe above.

/ Jonas

--
Jonas Borgström    | Edgewall research and development
jonas@edgewall.com | http://www.edgewall.com/