Re: Java debs anyone?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:39:19PM -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:
[...]
} This is what comes with IBM's Java SDK
} ====================================================
} Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
} IBM(R) 32-bit SDK for Linux(R) on iSeries(TM) and pSeries(TM), Java(TM) 2  Technology Edition, Version 1.4.2
} IBM(R) 32-bit Runtime Environment for Linux(R) on iSeries(TM) and pSeries(TM), Java(TM) 2  Technology Edition, Version 1.4.2
}
} (c) Copyright Sun Microsystems Inc, 1992-2003. All rights reserved.
} (c) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1996-2004. All rights reserved.
}
} The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
} Copyright (c) 1999-2002 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
}
} This product is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG group.
}
} The Java(tm) technology is owned and exclusively licensed by
} Sun Microsystems Inc.  Java is a trademark of Sun Microsystems Inc. in
} the U.S. and other countries.
[...]
} And the Apache Software License, Version 1.1
[...]
}         "This product includes software developed by the Apache Software
}         Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
[...]
} So perhaps I'm reading this wrong (I'm no lawyer) but it seems to me
} that redistribution, modified or otherwise, is permitted providing the 5
} guidelines above.
}
} No?

No. Notice the line "This product *includes* software developed by the
Apached Software Foundation" (emphasis mine). There is some Apache code in
there, and they are disclosing that, but Apache is not a viral license and
does not require that the entire system be released under the Apache
license. A good chunk of the software is copyright Sun or IBM, and they
have their own licensing terms for how you can use it or distribute it.

} Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>
--Greg