Re: installing debian on IBM 43P-150 (CHRP)

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 17:00, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Philippe Guyot said:
> > This is the whirl expected:
> >
> > Automatic boot: black screen and automatic reboot of the box.
> >
> > Manual boot:
> >
> > I had a look on the cdrom and found in \ppc a bootinfo.txt saying the
> > script
> > was \ppc\chrp\yaboot, just similar to what I have seen on the AIX CDrom.
> > (bootfile.exe in lieu of yaboot).
> >
> > So boot cdrom;:\ppc\chrp\yaboot gives me:
> >
> > unexpected firmware error
> > default catch code ff00300
> > $RR0 00c1b030
> > $RR1 00003030
> >
> > and back to the OF prompt.
>
> Ho hum.  The yaboot shipped with the boot disk won't work on an
> RS/6000.  You could say these sarge cd's won't work *at all* on
> an RS/6000 :-(
>
> > I suppose in automatic mode this leads to a complete reboot of the
> > machine, just as observed.
> >
> > I founded in /install/powerpc a vmlinuz-chrp.initrd dated today.
> > I supposed it is the patched one.
> >
> > So boot:;\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-chrp.initrd
> >
> > "Unable to use memory at load-base"
> >
> > printenv load_base   4000
>
> Not sure about this one.  I'll think about it.
>
> > Just a question more: don't whe have to find a yaboot.conf in \ppc\chrp
> > if it is the directory from which we intend to launch yaboot ?
>
> My version of yaboot pulls it from /etc/yaboot.conf (which is present
> on the CD).

Ok.

Hem. What do you mean by "my version of yaboot" ? The one in /ppc/chrp ?
It is this one which traps. But originally from Debian I suppose.

> Do you have a linux box that you can create your own CD images with
> (using mkisofs)? That will be much faster than me creating new CD
> images for you, although I'm happy to do so, if required.

I have a box whith mandrake 9, I suppose I can rpminstall mkisofs; I will need
some training of course....

I am going to have a look on this.

Cheers

Felipe