Re: True state of support for 12" iBook G4

Jesus Climent <jesus.climent@hispalinux.es> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 04:52:00PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>> >
>> > Which sources you base your information on?
>>
>> There are many. http://petitiononline.com is one of them. I signed twice.
>
> Check my installation guide for iBook 2.2 and you will see that everything is
> working here. iBook G4 is having a bit of troubles, but it will get there,
> eventually.

I have an iBook 2.2. I bought it 2 years ago because everything was
supported (non-free modem drivers included), 3D included (ATI Radeon
7500).  My initial statement was about current iBooks.

> On the other hand, I have some new and old Thinkpads that have the same
> problems with supported and unsupported hardware. See, for instance, the
> problems with working wireless cards.

Yes, but usually non-free drivers are provided. This is not ideal but
at least you can use the hardware.

>> > PowerPC laptops are very well supported by Linux, with the small exception of
>> > some small glitches in the matrix, but x86 laptops suffer the same simptoms.
>>
>> Not quite. At least, there are drivers for 3D cards, a working flash player,
>> even non-free.
>
> My 3D drivers for iBook 2.2 work fine. And flash, from my point of view,

Not dealing with iBook 2.2.

> sucks. Does not work on lynx.

Flash sucks but I need it. Some people do it as well.

> And non-free sucks even more. It is like admiting that close source drivers
> for ATI cards are good enough. Then they dont work on your iBook and people
> complain.

Non-free sucks. But non-free drivers is better than no driver at all.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org