Daily Boot Floppy attempt on Beige G3

I did something I never thought today: I bought a couple boxes of
floppies.

deja vu

I know this may be a bit redundant, but I wanted Sven L. and Rick T. to
know I tried to use the PowerPC daily floppies from

http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy-2.4/
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/miboot/ and
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/

(I don't what I'm supposed to do with the net-boot images, honestly.)

Machine: PowerMac G3 Beige 740/740

processor       : 0
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 31-33 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 233MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
bogomips        : 465.92
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,Gossamer MacRISC
detected as     : 48 (PowerMac G3 (Gossamer))
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified pipelined-syncro-burst
memory          : 64MB
l2cr override   : 0xa9100000
pmac-generation : OldWorld

ATA and SCSI disks...

(This is the same machine I successfully installed via netinst and
full-blown iso CD's yesterday.)

2.4
Today's result, as I've seen Rick and others observe, the ofonlyboot.img
is read and spit out. Without a prompt, I inserted the root.img and
nothing happened. Once I got the weird video reversal of tuxmac
mentioned prior. Each time the root.img is inserted, nothing else
happens. (Where's that paper clip!?)

miboot
Just for fun, I downloaded the month-old miboot floppies. Echoing, I got
tux waxed with a red X at the end of reading the boot.img. With the
ofonlyboot.img, the Mac spewed it out quickly.

2.6
ofonlyboot.img gave me tux in framebuffer corner looking like he was
behind an xray machine with a cartoon bomb in his lap. BUT, although the
Mac didn't spit the disk, I gave it root.img anyway; it read it, and I'm
going to make some language selections here.

OK, I used the ash console to see what modules were there already...
none. I loaded network-dirvers.img and configured eth0 manually.
What's next ...

Debian mirror or CD? Hmmm. cd-drivers.img

Sniffed out a bad mirror: slugsite.louisville.edu
I'll use ftp.us.debian.org.

I guess the adb keyboard looks like usb, that's what defaults.

Wow there's a lot of ide chipset modules suggesting to be installed!
Scanning CD. That thing's a week old. D-i says wrong kernel module
versions. Choose network install. Nope, no mathich modules. I
selected testing at the mirror screen. Well, let's try sid..

Hmm. It likes sid modules! But I thought this was sarge installation.
No choice now but to install sid, I guess. I checked the floppies
out already anyway. Suggestions? No?
OK, here we go.

This is different. A choice for low priority packages. Not bad. The
screen is smoother, better graphics than CD install for some reason.
frame buffer detection works? Higher reolution and better font!

Manually partion... Ah, detected and defaulted to correct file type on
existing partions, good. Detects and chooses existing swap. Defaults to
not erase data. We don't have that progress bar for rebuilding the
partion table screen anymore on each partion finish. Great!

Looks like it's going well. I'll do the rest in the installation-report.

As I read more daily, maybe I'll get to use the net-boot images?

Regards,
Duane Cottle