Red X -- was: Re: new oldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies, root size should be ok, net_drivers still too big, please test.

I tried the new 2.4 PowerMac floppys today.  Now I get the Red "X" on
the 2.4 boot floppy as well.

I did an experiment...

I mounted the 2.4 boot floppy and extracted the zImage file,
uncompressed it, and compared it to the 2.4.25-powerpc-small kernel.
They both claim to be the same kernel in that

    strings $file | grep 'Linux version'

produces the same output for each file. Namely:
Linux version 2.4.25-powerpc-small (root@pegasos2) (version gcc 3.3.3
(Debian 20040401)) #1 mer avr 14 17:26:11 CEST 2004

But the two files differ according to "cmp".

So I wonder if the process of compressing the kernel and putting it on
the miboot floppy is somehow corrupting it?

Rick