Re: Plea for help from PowerMac Open Firmware gurus -- Testing new oldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:57:22AM -0400, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 02:24, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > While I'm asking, does anyone know how to tell the Macintosh Open
> > > Firmware monitor to set the terminal speed.  I'm thinking that if
> > > the Linux Kernel wants 19200, then it would be a good idea to be
> > > talking to the Open Firmware at the same speed, so things don't get
> > > lost in the switch-over.
> >
> > Best is to adapt the linux kernel serial log to the OF set value though.
>

> Well... on the beige G3, I booted into Open Firmware with the
> "ofonlyboot" floppy in the drive.  The G3 comes up with console
> input/output being keyboard/screen.  From another Mac running MacOS-9, I
> connected with MacKermit to the G3's modem port (which is normally
> "/dev/ttyS0" under Linux)
>
> At the G3's console, I typed "boot console=ttyS0<return>".  The floppy
> drive made reading noises, and the "tuxMac" icon appeared on the G3's
> screen.  Nothing happened at this point on the Kermit serial port --
> there was no response when I type things at it over the serial port.
>
> After a while the floppy stopped making noises and a red "X" appeared
> over the tuxMac icon.  Still no messages on the serial port, but now it
> at least will echo what I type at it.  No response other than echos,
> though.  It seems that I'm not talking to a live kernel.
>
> Does any one have a clue what the red "X" means?
>
> It appears that the "console=ttyS0" option is being noticed (at least
> that's how I interpret the fact that it switched from no-echo to echo at
> the point where the red "X" appeared...)  So I could put other boot-time
> options there as well.  Is there a "verbose" option I can try?

there should be, but i am not familiar with this. Look into Documentation
directory of a kernel tree for details.

BTW, while you are at the serial OF prompt, could you try booting :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-coff.initrd

directly, it should work, and was made especially for this kind of case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther