Re: newbie-powerbook g3

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:43:21AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian User writes:
>
> > For now, I dont know how to boot the debian cd and how to install
> > bootx and make it work whit os and debian..
> > there is a tutorial?
>
> Not that I know of.  I'll be brief, please ask if anything is unclear to you.
>
> 1. You cannot, and never will be able to, boot an OldWorld machine
>    from a Debian CD.
>
> 2. BootX is available from <URL:http://penguinppc.org/~benh/>.  Just
>    follow the instructions in the package to install it.
>
> 3. To run debian-installer from BootX, you need the files vmlinux (the
>    kernel) and initrd.gz (the ramdisk compressed with gzip).  I'm not
>    entirely sure if you need to uncompress the ramdisk.
>
> 4. After running the installer, use the built-in shell to mount your
>    Mac OS partition and put the newly installed kernel and ramdisk
>    there so BootX can find them next time.

Notice that i managed to make 2.6.x miboot floppies also for d-i. You can find
those at :
  2.4 : http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc-small/floppy

  2.6 : http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy

Some trouble still with the 2.6 floppies, as somehow the kernel fails to be
able to read the root floppy, or maybe is dying earlier. Seems unporobably as
the same kernel works in BootX though.

We would need to buildin the oldworld floppy driver for the 2.6.8 packages,
which will be used in the above starting tomorrow.

Friendly,

Sven Luther