Re: new oldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies, root size should be ok, net_drivers still too big, please test.

On Thursday, August 19, 2004, at 05:00 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

happy floppy disk reading noises.  However, the noises eventually
stopped and a red "X" appeared over the TuxMac. Then nothing. I had to
manually eject the floppy from the drive.

What we need would be a way to get a log of it or something.

I'll try booting from open-firmware directly on a serial console. It may take a couple of trys. I've never done that before on a Mac (On a Sun/sparc machine, it's standard operating procedure, and I've got lots of experience with Suns -- so it's not completely unexplored teritory!) Maybe there will be some console messages that will be helpful.

I have a
suspsicion that the pmac floppies being modular maybe one of the causes of this, not sure though, possibly another modular important piece of the kernel.

Is the "swim" floppy driver compiled into the kernel? (not modular). If not, the kernel may be unable to read the floppy drive once it's been loaded by the firmware/bootblock code...

Are there any other drivers that must be compiled in?

It really is a kernel issue though, can you boot the 2.6.7 kernel with bootx
or quik ?

BootX works fine with 2.6.7. I haven't been able to get quik working (haven't tried very hard, since BootX works so well)

Remember me what happened with the 2.4 powerpc-small based floppies ?

It's been a while, (March, I think...) but I think the sequence of events went sort of like this:

TuxMac gives way to Tux icon at top of screen and scrolling kernel messages. Eventually it asks me to load the root floppy (but doesn't eject -- so I have to eject manually) I load the floppy and answer a bunch of questions ... etc.

I have the old March floppy images archived. Would you like me to burn some floppys from them and give them a try? Just to refresh our memories...

Can you make a boot floppy with a 2.4 kernel that installs a 2.6 kernel from the net/CD/whatever?

Enjoy!

Rick