no sound + backlit keyboard not lighting up (PowerBook G4/Sarge)

'ello,

[ As usual, I have searched on Google and various list archives, but
haven't found anything that answers my questions... ]

Having just installed Sarge (and getting /dev/pmu to work :-)) I have
been fiddling around with ALSA.  I managed to successfully insert the
module for the powermac sound card (the only seemingly appropriate one I
could find).  Alsaconf was unable to set it up right, for some reason.

Anyway, I have the modules, but no sound.  The device nodes are there
(/dev/dsp0 for example).

The system give the impression of working fine (no error messages at
all) but simply doesn't make any noise.  According to Google I appear to
be along the right lines.

Any ideas?

Finally, for some reason pbbuttonsd is not supporting my backlit
keyboard -- all the tabs are greyed out in powerprefs.  I know it works
'cos I've seen it in OS X -- am I missing another device node?  I have
/dev/adb.  I don't have APM emulation but I'd be surprised if I needed
that to get the keyboard to light up.

I have to say that, despite these little issues, I am extremely
impressed by how easy Sarge is to set up nowadays.

bye just now,

Matthew

=== lsmod output ===

oberon:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_powermac           44304  0
snd_pcm_oss            68136  0
snd_pcm               119768  2 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         13480  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              29348  1 snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          23232  1 snd_pcm_oss
ipv6                  309956  10
ds                     23716  2
snd                    67320  5
snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore              11812  1 snd
af_packet              21096  2
joydev                 12000  0
usbhid                 53888  0
ohci_hcd               26244  0
uninorth_agp            8544  1
agpgart                41932  1 uninorth_agp
tsdev                   8640  0
evdev                  11968  2
eth1394                24680  0
ehci_hcd               37060  0
usbcore               134184  5 usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
sungem                 36868  0
crc32                   4832  1 sungem
sungem_phy             10240  1 sungem
ohci1394               41924  0
yenta_socket           23264  0
pcmcia_core            73140  2 ds,yenta_socket
sr_mod                 23332  0
sbp2                   28080  0
scsi_mod              114496  2 sr_mod,sbp2
ieee1394              448168  3 eth1394,ohci1394,sbp2
ide_cd                 50596  0
cdrom                  49244  2 sr_mod,ide_cd
ext3                  130256  2
jbd                    71416  1 ext3
mbcache                10116  1 ext3
ide_disk               27232  3