AWACS/snd_powermac, 2.6.7-powerpc on a new G4: headphones only

Can't get any sound out of the internal speakers with the above
configuration.  Searching the ALSA archives, I can see this was a
known problem back in 2002.  Was it fixed in the meantime and has gone
bad again, or has this always been an issue?

Never having used Linux on PPC before yesterday, I don't know the
history.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.