Re: Fwd: Re: current d-i cd won't boot on G3

On (16/08/04 22:58), Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> ok, here's the next problem. Now i have managed to get past BootX, even
> past d-i, except that it failed at quix installation. So i thought, who
> cares, i'll go for BootX with my kernel and a proper root= setting.. Yet
> when i launch BootX with root=/dev/hda8 or
> root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 both render me with a kernel
> panic "couldn't find root"...
Hi Kilian

You're where I am at, currently.  I haven't had a lot of time to spend
on it but I've been testing the d-i installer.  There have been some
fixes to the quik installer applied by Colin Watson but with rc1, I
still can't get it to install.

What you need to do to get BootX to boot your installed Linux system is
copy the initrd.gz and vmlinux from your installed system onto the Mac
partition and then replace the installer versions in "Linux Kernels"
with these installed versions.  The problem I've had is that I can't
seem to mount the Mac HFS+ partition to be able to copy them.  I haven't
got very far with my latest attempt 1. because I've been very busy and
2. my daughter rebooted the machine (instead of using her own) before I
managed to get around the copying problem and so I've got to reinstall
;(

Let me know if you have more success.

Regards

Clive

--
Byte-Night 2004 ... helping the young homeless .. please visit:
https://www.bmycharity.com/clive