debootstrap exited abnormally (base installation error)

I'm attempting to install Woody on an Umax S900 (oldworld mac clone) and
during the base system install step of the install no matter what I do, I
end up with the error at the end:

debootstrap exited abnormally

with only one option below that - continue.  However the word 'continue' is
poor gramar as it should rather state 'go back and do it again and get the
same result'.  Can anyone help?  I am faced with this blue screen of death
here that I was told Linux didn't have.  Please help.

-Eric Hedekar