Re: I want to become *atalk* client on linux. How?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:47:07PM +0200, markov@tiscali.be wrote:
> I always see packages on becoming server, but none on
> client.  Same for smb (don't need this one)

Well, that depends on what you want. I assume from your mention of
smb that you want to be an appleshare client. There was at one point
a kernel module for that called "afpfs", but it's been unmaintained
for ages, and doesn't even compile against a modern Linux kernel. If
you search online for afpfs, you might find something more than I have.

I only mention other things because appletalk is the low level
protocol, on the same level as IP or IPX. The ddp module in the
kernel is what implements the lower part of appletalk, and atalkd
(a part of netatalk) handles the rest. There are a lot of other
things that run over appletalk, including mac style printer sharing.
The netatalk packages contain both client and server for printing.
There is also support for all kinds of other stuff, such as IP over
appletalk (ipddp module in the kernel).

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com